Skip to main content

Visit

The past week was perfect summer weather.  My granddaughter was here for three days but then she had to go home so she could attend high school orientation.  (Which is something that does not even seem possible.)  My grandson was just not ready to go home so we stretched his visit out to a full week.  He really thought he should be allowed to stay until Tuesday since he doesn't have to go back to school until Wednesday.

The weather was most conducive to time at the beach.  We only missed one day.


One day we had a picnic, much to the delight of the seagulls who were given a special invitation by the grandkids.

We took a trip to Smugglers' Notch and climbed on rocks.  It would have been a great place to take some pictures, but I forgot my phone and my camera is broken.

We, of course, had to do some shopping.  Dane discovered the joys of the mall when he realized it wasn't all clothing stores--there was a skateboard shop, a toy store, and a sporting goods store there as well!  I bought him a soccer ball since he has been playing with a friend at home this summer.  This may have been a mistake on my part.  If we weren't swimming, he wanted to be playing soccer. 

Now, I really, really wanted to encourage this kind of activity over sitting with a hand-held game device.  My head and heart were right there.  The old body, however...  Actually, I do get an aggressively competitive streak when undertaking these endeavors--enough to impress the young lad.

Eating out is a treat now that we are no longer limited to a choice between McDonalds and Burger King and who might be giving out the better toy in a kid's meal.  A big step in growth and development.  We ate outside on Church Street in Burlington and enjoyed the people watching as well as the food.

Liked the food


Liked the wifi

Sunday morning breakfast at the new bakery.  Milk and a chocolate cupcake--what happens at grandma's house stays at grandma's.


On Thursday, Dane went with me to make cards with the group I meet with about once a month.

One of us was more into bling than the other.


Then we went to a Lake Monsters baseball game.  Fun, except the home team lost.



Who doesn't love a ball game and a hot dog?

Comments

  1. And this week you will be resting?? Sounds like a great time and precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You create such wonderful experiences for your grands. They'll always remember these special times with you! Now, get some R&R!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandkids really look different, especially your granddaughter. How time flies when you're having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family is so lucky to have such fun and special times!!! love all things baseball here !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh, no wonder you were tired. Still you really showed your grands a great time and I got a giggle about your competitiveness. That doesn't go away with age does it?
    Ya done good grandma--now rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dane having a chocolate cupcake for breakfast reminded me of the week we spent on vacation. We took along a friend to be with our daughter. The first morning my husband asked her what she'd like for breakfast, saying "You can have whatever you want! We're on vacation!" She opted for a bowl of ice cream to test out whether we really meant what he'd said. Of course he did! And he joined her with his own bowl of ice cream. Every day of our vacation! :) Great times. And great times for your grands as well! They will always remember sharing these times with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was the first one to teach my grandson to play soccer, but now that he is 12, I am too old and decrepit to off er much of a challenge. Sad, but true.
    There's nothing better than when your grandchild truly enjoys your company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grand kids looks cute. You h!ad a wonderful time with them. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had a wonderful week! Lucky you. Somehow I never did a week, or even a few days, with a one on one with the grandkids. Dane will remember that you played soccer with him. What a treasured memory that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pictures -- especially the cupcake face! Sounds like you had great time. I can't believe you are going to have a high school student! Time does fly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treat to have older grandkids. I still have none. Cakes for breakfast on a Sunday brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate readers' comments so much. You don't even always have to agree with me.

Popular posts from this blog

Updates

 On September 29, I had the closing on my condo. Everything that was not going to the buyers was out and packed in the ABF moving truck which had by the been taken over to the storage units. Don thought it would take him until Wednesday to finish packing the truck with the help of his son. It took him until late Thursday with Chris' help and mine. Kevin was supposed to help load as well but he was in a mountain bike accident and wrecked his shoulder the week before. That added driving him to doctor appointments to my to do list and dong some shopping for him plus jobs around the house that might need two functioning upper limbs.  We stayed with Kevin on Friday night after the closing and then had a suite in an extended stay place for the coming week. This was the worst possible time to have to get a room because the prices balloon during leaf peeping season if you can even find a room at all. But it was close to the storage units where we were working and it was dog friendly. We ju

Wedding

 Don and I drove to South Carolina to attend the wedding of my step-grandson, Will. Will Will and Katie The wedding took place on Dataw Island, a beautiful outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in the country club. We stayed in a tiny cottage in the historic center of Beaufort, rented from Vrbo. Since the wedding was at 5 p.m., we had time to explore the area a bit. I really like the low country scenery and historical charm. Sitting quietly in the curtained gazebo I was visited by multiple cardinals. They came to visit the feeder, not me, but I can always pretend! How I will always remember Will!

Rest In Peace

 In a summer that has been so wet, Sunday was a reprieve. The humidity dropped and the sun came out. It was a day that could have been special ordered by the family of a friend's husband. It was the day they had arranged his celebration of life ceremony set on the shore of Lake Champlain. I was not looking forward to the gathering, even couched as a celebration. This is a family fraught with relationship tensions. It turned out to be a beautiful day and a beautiful ceremony. A Catholic priest gave a brief but meaningful homily and two Air Force members played "Taps" and presented the American flag to my friend. I am not a Christian, but I do know about Christ Consciousness. That priest's word's filled me with such a sense of peace and love. I hope it did the same for the family members and neighbors who attended.